
I got this recipe from the cookbook entitled: America's Test Kitchen Cookbook.
I made this recipe for Thanksgiving dessert, and quite frankly the taste was wonderful....it far outweighs Libby's recipe on the back of the label of a pumpkin pie filling can. It is totally worth completing a couple of extra steps to get this great tasting pie. You can make your pie crust by scratch, but to save time, I used a frozen crust from the store. If any blog readers make this pie, tell me how it turned out for you!
Spiced Pumpkin Pie
1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin puree
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
2 t. ginger
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
¼ t. cloves
½ t. salt
2/3 c. heavy cream
2/3 c. whole milk
4 large eggs
1 frozen pie crust
Set your oven rack to the lower-middle position and place your oven temperature to 400 degrees. Set your pie crust out to defrost on the counter.
Mix the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices and salt in a food processor until combined, ( I just used my hand mixer and bowl for this particular step) about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until thick and shiny, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cream and milk, return to a simmer briefly, and then remove from the heat.
Put the eggs in the food processor (I actually used the blender for this step) and process them until beaten and uniform in color. Keep the machine running and slowly add about half the hot pumpkin mixture through the feed tube. Stop the machine, add the remaining pumpkin, and continue to process the mixture until uniform, about 30 seconds longer.
Pour the warm filling into the crust. Bake until the filling is puffy and lightly cracked around the edges, and the center of the pie wiggles like Jell-O, about 25-35 minutes. Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool until room temp. and then place in fridge, or serve! This pie is a guaranteed winner!
I made this recipe for Thanksgiving dessert, and quite frankly the taste was wonderful....it far outweighs Libby's recipe on the back of the label of a pumpkin pie filling can. It is totally worth completing a couple of extra steps to get this great tasting pie. You can make your pie crust by scratch, but to save time, I used a frozen crust from the store. If any blog readers make this pie, tell me how it turned out for you!
Spiced Pumpkin Pie
1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin puree
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
2 t. ginger
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
¼ t. cloves
½ t. salt
2/3 c. heavy cream
2/3 c. whole milk
4 large eggs
1 frozen pie crust
Set your oven rack to the lower-middle position and place your oven temperature to 400 degrees. Set your pie crust out to defrost on the counter.
Mix the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices and salt in a food processor until combined, ( I just used my hand mixer and bowl for this particular step) about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until thick and shiny, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cream and milk, return to a simmer briefly, and then remove from the heat.
Put the eggs in the food processor (I actually used the blender for this step) and process them until beaten and uniform in color. Keep the machine running and slowly add about half the hot pumpkin mixture through the feed tube. Stop the machine, add the remaining pumpkin, and continue to process the mixture until uniform, about 30 seconds longer.
Pour the warm filling into the crust. Bake until the filling is puffy and lightly cracked around the edges, and the center of the pie wiggles like Jell-O, about 25-35 minutes. Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool until room temp. and then place in fridge, or serve! This pie is a guaranteed winner!
2 comments:
Sounds amazing! I might have to give that a try sometime if we have company over.
Boy the pie looks good. I don't like pumpkin pie But I sure like
the the donuts......
Love, Nana
Post a Comment